Tuesday, October 9, 2012

5K Blog: Toddy Ran Wild... No... Really!

A few thoughts about the race on Saturday:

1. Mornings are no damn time to run a race for me. I prefer sometime like 3 in the afternoon.

2. I love my sister dearly but there is no excuse whatsoever of a photo of myself stretching my quadriceps. Except perhaps for the caption I gave it....

3.It was very nice for my parents to show up. Especially since Dad wasn't feeling very good that morning and Mom has this fear her presence causes bad things to happen. At my age and girth she was probably worried about me having a heart attack. ;-)

4. McDonald's as one of the sponsors? Really? Jared hates state parks or something? I'm just glad Ronald didn't make it because with my severe clown phobia it would have become ugly.

5. I did not prepare for that first hill and it was a doozy. Fortunately Ashley already knew about it and recommended we walk up it. Hill training must be added to my regimen.

6. I'm not sure if people were impressed, amazed or shocked when they saw me run but I sure did get a bunch of double-takes.

Although Ashley denies it, I'm pretty sure she wanted to get a legitimate workout in after the warm-up with me. ;-)

As far as the race itself, I didn't do too badly even though my lungs were locked tighter than they have since I picked it up again following my month's hiatus. (Respitory infection?) The first mile was rough but during the walking mile my lungs started opening up. Not only was I able to run the last mile, I did it in 12:05 (unofficial) which is one of my best times running a mile since I started this project.

So ends my the chronicles of how a middle-aged, over-weight couch-potato and recently recovering chain smoker (2 packs a day) went from barely even able to run 20 seconds at a crack to running almost two-thirds of a 3 mile race. This, of course, is not the end of journey. In fact, in about an hour it's back to the grind.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment