Friday, October 5, 2012

5K Blog: Workouts 39 & 40 plus final thoughts.

Workout 39

Goal: 1.3 miles

Completed: 1.3 miles

The old lungs are still locked tighter than a virgin's chastity belt but I was able to reach my goal. This marks the last of the conditioning workouts as Thursday's will be a much shorter run just long enough to remind my body it still does runs.

Workout 40

Goal: Pace myself faster than comfortable for as long as I can go

Result: .46 miles

I decided to try something different to try to loosen my lungs up. I ran faster than I wabted to until I just couldn't go. It helped as I started having a productive cough soon after. Hopefully, I will feel the difference on Saturday.

Final Thoughts

As I look back on my training, I see how very far I have come. When I first started, the thought of ever being able to run a mile or more was rather daunting. However, I stuck with it and I am confident I will be able to run a mile, walk a mile then run that final mile. This is a far cry from my original go of running the entire race with an average speed of 6 miles per hour. Obviously, I was being pretty ambitious and even though I missed my original goals, I still traveled a long way and I'm not done yet. My training will continue.

At this time I would like to thank the people who helped me out on this endeavor:

My sister Trisha who's example during the Green Bay Marathon helped inspire me on this project.

My parents for giving me encouragement along the way.

My sibblings and friends on FB and on Twitter for giving me support.

Last (but certainly not least by a long shot) a huge thank you goes out to my sister Ashley. Not only did her running in the Green Bay Marathon help inspire me to start this project but her continual advice (How very wonderful to have a certified personal trainer in the family!), encouragement and emotional support really put this thing together. She also did this during a very rough and emotional time in her life. Thank you so very much coach Tickle-Squirt.

Let's do this thing of ours.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment