Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bellin Run Blog: Workout 9 (The Hills Are Alive & So Am I... Mostly.)

Schedule: 30 minute run.

Result: 27 minutes run, 3 minutes walk (Hill Training.)

Other:

In the immortal words of Ringo Starr: "You know it don't come easy."

The first of two hills I went up (Jefferson St. Hill) wasn't too bad and I was relatively fresh afterwards. The easy part was heading down Georgia St. Hill. The one thing I did notice was my were my quadriceps starting to get a little rubbery and that adversely affected my speed running downhill as I slowed down to maintain control. Still, pretty easy... then I turned around.

Georgia St. Hill is one of the steepest and longest in the city and I figures I wasn't going to be able to make it up in one go the first time. I was able to run a good distance up the hill and my legs were just starting to give out so I walked flr a minute. I ran another minute and had to walk the remaining distance which took me another two minutes.

It was all downhill from there... literally as I headed back down the Jefferson St. hill. Once again, my quadriceps got a great workout and I will hate to be them in a couple of hours. (Egads!)

I liked this workout for two reasons:

1. Even with three minutes walking, my pace was faster than Saturday's run.

2. The workout was intense enough I had to walk for a while. I know I needed something more intense to help increase my endurance and pace and this should do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment